[wisb] UW Arboretum, Madison, Dane County

  • From: "Charles Henrikson" <ckhenrikson@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Wisbirdn" <wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 28 Mar 2012 16:43:04 -0500

Highlights:
  FOY - 2 Yellow-bellied Sapsuckers, one in Gallistel Woods and one in
Wingra Woods, both males

  4 Yellow-rumped Warblers near the white birches in Gallistel Woods and
again over by the Icke Boardwalk.  They looked like the same 4 I saw on
March 23rd.  They were all drab and scruffy.  I saw the yellow rumps on 2 of
the 4.

  2 Pileated Woodpeckers in Gallistel Woods.  The female was on the ground
pulling apart a rotting log.  She found something good-sized, whitish and
swallowed it.  My annual reminder:  "Let sleeping logs lie."  The Pileated
Woodpecker appreciate it.

  6 Wood Ducks at Teal Pond and 2 at Big Spring.  If you want to see the
Wood Ducks on Teal Pond, approach the pond very slowly and quietly.  The
Wood Ducks are very skittish and will either swim to right (south) end of
the pond or fly away if you approach them too quickly or noisily.

  Heard 1 Barred Owl in Wingra Woods.  Saw one at Teal Pond on March 25.

Off topic - all the Cut-leafed Toothworts are blooming, the Virginia
Bluebells are beginning to bloom, the Mayapples are up and the leaves are
open, the Cohosh are up and some are about to bloom, the Bloodroot is almost
finished blooming, all the Forsythia are blooming, the Tulip and Star
Magnolias are losing their petals, a few of the Lilacs are just beginning to
bloom, the Serviceberries are blooming, some of the Cherry trees have lost
all their petals, some trees in the woods are blooming others are leafing
out, and much more.

My eBird report is appended below.

Good birding to all,

Chuck Henrikson