[wisb] Re: Madison -- Long-eared Owl heard in Arboretum

  • From: David La Puma <woodcreeper@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "[Wisb] Network" <wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 9 Feb 2012 10:43:49 -0600

I would actually suggest that NO ONE play an owl tape in an effort to bring
the bird closer. Long-eareds (especially when in small numbers) WILL AND DO
abandon winter roosts after disturbance. I know that several others heard
the bird last night without the use of any playback.
cheers- and good birding

David
________________________

David A. La Puma
Postdoctoral Associate
Aeroecology Program
Department of Entomology and Wildlife Ecology
University of Delaware

Visiting Scientist
SILVIS Lab (http://silvis.forest.wisc.edu/)
University of Wisconsin, Madison