[windows2000] Re: sysprep

  • From: "Sullivan, Glenn" <GSullivan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "'windows2000@xxxxxxxxxxxxx'" <windows2000@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 7 May 2003 10:46:38 -0400

If you do not run sysprep, all or your machines will have the same SID.  And
all of your local admin accounts will look the "same" to each other... i.e.,
you may change the password on a local account on one machine but not the
other... but the old password would work sometimes because the SID of the
account is the same.

A crappy explanation, but I can't think of a better one.

In the future, talk to Dell about loading on your corporate version of XP
pro, which has a VLK and does not require activation.  They can do it for
little or no more money...

Glenn Sullivan, MCSE+I  MCDBA
David Clark Company Inc.