[windows2000] Re: OT- PC Naming Conventions

  • From: "Bob Brown" <abbbrown@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: <windows2000@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 25 Sep 2003 05:56:31 -0400

> Farrugia, Paul wrote:
> > We are looking to change the naming conventions that we use for PCs.
> > Right now we name them with the department name and a number (ex: for
> > our Accounting Dept- acct4, acct5, etc.).  It was recommended to us that
> > we should change our naming convention for security reasons. I wanted to
> > know what convention others are using.

We use a site code + the userid i.e. my primay computer would be named
SB-BOBR because I am at location SB. If I were at BL it would be BL-BOBR.
(My userid is BOBR from BOb BRown)

This way computers are named based on where they are and who uses them.

In our factory, where many people use them they are named based on the
location, i.e. SB-C220 would denote a grid location on our factory floor.
Thus these PC's are named for where they are.

Bob