[windows2000] Re: OT- PC Naming Conventions

  • To: <windows2000@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 25 Sep 2003 15:21:22 +0200

One other suggestion.

We have a production server platform, acceptance and integration
platform, and an office network.
The production servers are named after animals (monkey=hosted exchange,
lion1=oracle).
Our acceptance platform has car brand names (isuzu=exchange,
mini=oracle).
Integration platform has inventor names (like newton, doppler, wahl).
Our office servers have planet names (earth. Pluto, jupiter).....

And then there is our Tivoli management platform. Since it's working
like a bitch, we decided to give it pig names (potbelly, warthog,
wildboar, swine).

From: Farrugia, Paul
Date: Wed, 24 Sep 2003 16:10:44 -0400

Hello,

We are looking to change the naming conventions that we use for PCs.
Right now we name them with the department name and a number
(ex: for our Accounting Dept- acct4, acct5, etc.).  It was recommended
to us that we should change our naming convention for security reasons.
I wanted to know what convention others are using&.

BW,

Sorin

# Sorin Srbu, Systems Engineer          Web:
http://www.farmfak.uu.se/organisk/
# Dept of Medicinal Chemistry,          Phone: +46 (0)18-4714482 >> 5
signals >> GSM
# Div of Org Pharm Chem,                        Mobile Phone: +46
(0)701-718023
# BMC, Box 574, Uppsala University      Fax: +46 (0)18-4714474
# SE-751 23 Uppsala, Sweden             Visit: BMC, Husargatan 3,
D5:512b
#
# Public PGP key available on request.
#
# ()  ascii ribbon campaign - against html e-mail
# /\