(VICT) Re: questions from a friend about her guide dog

  • From: "DIANNE B. PHELPS AND PRIMROSE" <d.bphelps@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <vi-clicker-trainers@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 15 Dec 2008 11:52:43 -0800

The gentle leader is what I used with Primrose in those situations as she
was a dog who would over stimulate like that. The other thing I tended to do
was to slow everything I did as far as handling down. For example, on
getting out of the car,, if Primmy started to bolt or dash out too quickly,
I would stop her and insist she slow down. I simply would try to stop those
over-exhuberant moves on her part. Ultimately, with Primrose, we did have to
revert to the prong collar to really get her to stay controlled. She did get
better and did settle ultimately. She, as a pet, can still over stimulate if
I don't keep a controlled hand on her.

Dianne, Hibiscus, and Primrose