(VICT) Re: questions from a friend about her guide dog

  • From: "DIANNE B. PHELPS AND PRIMROSE" <d.bphelps@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <vi-clicker-trainers@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 14 Dec 2008 14:51:33 -0800

Mona,

I totally understand that feeling. I feel so terribly guilty because my
current working guide, Hibiscus, is such a little sweet-heart to work with.
Primrose, even at her very best, was difficult for me to work. I did it, and
I am glad I did it and stuck with her, but I am totally relieved. In fact, I
am enjoying Primrose far more as my retired guide and pet than when the poor
little thing was really working for me. Please don't misunderstand me.
Primmy learned to behave and did what I really needed her to do, but I
always had to be ready to catch her and it was absolutely exhausting right
up to the very last day. Of course, I need to concentrate with Hibiscus, but
gentle reminders are so much easier to give than being ready to stop
straying and not staying focused. Primmy was just far too much dog for me,
and Hibiscus is more my equal. Having said that, please know that Primrose
is very much loved and definitely spoiled in her retirement. I could never
do less than treat my dogs lovingly. Primmy did pull me through lots, and I
will forever be grateful. It is just that life is much easier now.

Dianne, Hibiscus, and Primrose