[va-richmond-general] Re: barred owls

  • From: JRiverPk@xxxxxxx
  • To: va-richmond-general@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 26 Apr 2004 11:50:46 EDT

Irene
       The park tries as hard as it can.  The goal of any system of laws is
to assure respectful behavior among citizens.  Reasonable laws are accepted by
citizens and voluntarily obeyed.  (There is much less broken glass on the
rocks, for example, but no greater level of law enforcement --- everyone knows
&
accepts that broken glass hurts everyone's recreational experience .... alas,
there is no difference in the amount of alcohol consumed --- the proof is in
the trash cans --- but both gass and alcohol are violations of the law.  Should
we go on a temperance tantrum and search out the last can of beer in a
flyfisherman's creel?  or should we declare victory in the success of reducing
injury
and litter ... and accept that we can't do everything ? ... and, perhaps,
that we've actually done enough?)  In other words, what is the real goal?
       It is interesting to note that on Belle Isle, this weekend --from 10
am till after 4pm) I saw a great many people with pets (past counts indicated
every 6th visitor is a dog) and every dog was on a leash,  save 2.  The place
was jam-packed with people, so, perhaps, it made sence to keep them on leash
--- they'd get lost otherwise!   Only one police car made a patrol around the
island and I was engaged in tasks that kept me away from the flow of visitors,
but within eyesight.  The control of dogs was, therefore, done voluntarily.
       This a good sign ... and an indication that self control can be
exercised without the threat of punishment ... and the expendature of more
money on
law enforcement.  Frankly, this is an important development.  We don't have
more money (the economy is in the tank, tax receipts are down and budgets are
being cut) and the police are (given the fact that we are engaged in a war on
terrorism and skirmish on local drugs) focused on other things.
       Though it may sound idealistic to say it, I think we can all learn to
get along.
       Ralph