[va-richmond-general] barred owls

  • From: grace suttle <4330arrow@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: va-richmond-general@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 19 Apr 2004 22:22:13 -0400

The barred owlets in the Wetlands have fledged, and today one owlet
appeared to have fallen almost into the creek near the bridge.  It
couldn't fly and couldn't scramble  up the steep overhanging bank (kept
slipping down towards the water) but finally it reach a horizontal twig
to perch upon.   The parent was watching  the whole time I was there
(from about 5:15pm for 1.5 hrs), initially swooping in with a meal in
it's beak (a baby bird), observing from various perches.  Bob Winn sent
Ralph over to see if a rescue was in order-he thought not. I'm not so
sure.  A few pictures are attached.  Grace Suttle

-- Type: image/jpeg
-- File: b.owlet01.JPG

-- Type: image/jpeg
-- File: b.owlet12.JPG