[va-richmond-general] Birds here and there

  • From: "IE Ries" <FEATHERCHASER@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "AudubonList" <va-richmond-general@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 20 Apr 2004 01:26:02 -0400

Sunday 4/18/04 at Henricus Park/Dutch Gap:  Todd Dixon and I teamed up to bird
that area.  Here's our combined list:
Great Egret (pair)
Great Blue Heron (we found the rookery)
Redwinged Blackies
Gulls (OK, various kinds...Laughing Gulls and, and...??)
Terns (ditto the above)
Osprey (clutching fish and circling with mate)
Stilt Sandpiper
Sora
Tree Swallow
Barn Swallow
Redshouldered Hawk
Swamp Sparrow
Belted Kinfisher (m)
Northern Cardinal (where *wasn't* there one?!)
Redbellied, Downy* Woodpecker
Prothonotary Warbler
Blue-gray Gnatcatcher (on every branch of every tree, or just about)
White-throated Sparrow
Mallard Duck
Double-crested Cormorant
American Redstart
American Goldfinch
Carolina Wren
Tufted Titmouse
Yellow-throated Warbler
Northern Mockingbird (sang us an evening serenade)
American Robin
Butterbutts (in lovely breeding plummage)
Eastern Bluebird
Savannah Sparrow
Eastern Kingbird
Wood Duck (f)
Killdeer
Northern Flicker
Canada Goose
Black, Turkey Vulture

Other wildlife of interest:  A Blacksnake trying to pass itself as a
Rattlesnake and rattle its tail at us; a lovely Green Ribbon Snake, and a
female Red Fox with 4 kits.

Monday 4/19/04 at Belle Isle (just me):

Osprey
Carolina Wren (the island is full of them)
European Starling
Common Grackle
Redwinged Blackies
Northern Cardinal
Prothonotary Warbler
American Goldfinch
Blue-gray Gnatchatcher
Eastern Bluebird
Canada Goose
Mallard Duck
Double-crested Cormorant
Gulls (Yeah, I know...I need a marine bird book!)
Black Vulture
Eastern Kingbird
American Black Duck (pair)
Butterbutts (lots of them)
American Robin
Yellow-throated Warbler
Carolina Chickadee
Palm Warbler
Warbling Vireo
Pileated, Redbellied, Downy (f) Woodpecker
Brown Thrasher
Redshouldered Hawk
Tree Swallow
Great Blue Heron