<USS Eagle> Personal Log

  • From: Varel Nerik <varel.nerik@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: usseagle@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 28 Aug 2013 23:52:16 -0500

:OFF:

This log also takes place prior to the sim.

Personal Log, Stardate 66608.21

     I know it's late, and I should be getting some sleep, since I have
Alpha shift work in the morning.  I'll be on the bridge, in front of the
senior officers, for my very first shift.  I definitely need to be
refreshed for that.  However, I wanted to get my thoughts out while they
are still fresh in my mind.

     Well, I'm finally aboard the USS Eagle.  They were on an extended
mission out of reach.  While, at first, I was annoyed that I couldn't join
the Eagle immediately, now I'm glad they were away.  I didn't think that I
would like being stationed on a station.  I figured it would be really
boring.  Even though I grew up in San Fransisco, I traveled a lot with my
parents, with both being Ambassadors.  I always thought I would prefer ship
life to station life.  But, my time on Pasteur Station changed my
thinking.  Commodore Lukas Fyrstk and all the other officers were really
nice to me.  I enjoyed the work they had me doing, even though a lot of it
was grunt work.  I got to know the inner workings of the station that way.

     I was expecting to be harassed or ostracized a little due to my
Romulan heritage. However, not one person made any comment nor treated me
any differently.  That was probably because the Commanding Officer was
himself, half Romulan as well.  It was nice to feel like I actually fit in
and belonged.  I know people's opinions of Romulans are changing, but a lot
still think of them as the enemy, and view me suspiciously, even though I
grew up on Earth.  This was the first time in my life that I haven't had at
least one person give me dirty looks, or other such things.  I am told that
the USS Eagle was Commodore Fyrstk's ship previously and a lot of the crew
on board served under him, so I'm hoping that I will find similar treatment
here as well.

     I've spent the afternoon, after reporting in and dropping my stuff off
in my quarters, to explore the ship and meet some of the crew.  I spent
some time in the Eagle's Nest and so far most of the people have been
friendly.  People have been interested in my heritage, first assuming that
I'm Vulcan until they see me show emotion.  So far, all questions have been
polite.  They find it intriguing to meet a half Romulan, half Betazoid.

     All there questions, especially about my father, reminded me how much
I miss him.  With the destruction of Romulus two years ago, he returned to
the Romulan Empire.  Part of me wishes that I could have gone with him, but
it is only a small part.  I am a federation citizen and a Starfleet Cadet.
This is my home.  But, there is still a part of me that feels a connection
to the Romulan world, even more so now that my father is there.  It's only
at times like these, when I'm answering a lot of questions about my
parentage, that these feelings show themselves.  The rest of the time I am
happy where I am.

     But I've spent enough time reminiscing.  I should be sound of sleep
right now, it's after midnight.  As it is, I'm not going to get enough
sleep.  I just hope that it doesn't show tomorrow.

END Log

Cadet Varel Nerik
4th Year Cadet
Special Assignment to USS Eagle