[uae] Re: Will there be a upcoming E-UAE release?

  • From: Bernd Schmidt <bernds_cb1@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: uae@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 23 Nov 2008 23:32:00 +0100

timofonic timofonic wrote:

> It's not just about what do users need from WinUAE that UAE and E-UAE
> don't have, that's the smaller part of the problem.
>
> The important thing is having an alive and maintained project that is
> available on different platforms so people can enjoy their Amiga
> software on any kind of platform and then Amiga can survive over the
> years thanks to that project.

UAE and E-UAE are multiplatform.  WinUAE has chosen not to be.

> WinUAE is for Microsoft platforms, E-UAE is multiplatform. The problem
> is that both need a project infrastructure, look at other successful
> Free/Open Source projects and you will see what is needed.

Needed for what?  What's the goal, or to repeat my question, what do you
need that UAE or E-UAE don't already have?

> I hope to be wrong, but it seems certain developers don't understand
> how successful FOSS projects work and how communities are important
> for the progress of the projects.

UAE was a wildly successful FOSS project ten, fifteen years ago.  My
impression is that
 a) it's a mature project so it doesn't really attract new developers
 b) most people have forgotten the Amiga by now

Bernd