[uae] Re: Will there be a upcoming E-UAE release?

  • From: "Klaas." <kplists@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Bernd Schmidt <uae@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 24 Nov 2008 09:35:48 +0100

Op 23-nov-08 schreef Bernd Schmidt:

>UAE and E-UAE are multiplatform.  WinUAE has chosen not to be.

>> WinUAE is for Microsoft platforms, E-UAE is multiplatform. The problem
>> is that both need a project infrastructure, look at other successful
>> Free/Open Source projects and you will see what is needed.

>Needed for what?  What's the goal, or to repeat my question, what do you
>need that UAE or E-UAE don't already have?

Actually E-UAE needs at least 2 things that I would enjoy:

-  working CD-ROM support

-  a way to spend less CPUtime when it is idle.

>> I hope to be wrong, but it seems certain developers don't understand
>> how successful FOSS projects work and how communities are important
>> for the progress of the projects.

>UAE was a wildly successful FOSS project ten, fifteen years ago.  My
>impression is that
> a) it's a mature project so it doesn't really attract new developers
> b) most people have forgotten the Amiga by now

Well actually I spend a lot of time to transfer the
processing on my A4000 to the E-UAE on my Mac, where
I am writing this from. The A4000 (my best Amiga ever)
is now at it's end and will be retired soon.

greetings,
  Klaas Punt