[uae] Re: Will there be a upcoming E-UAE release?

  • From: "timofonic timofonic" <timofonic@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: uae@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 24 Nov 2008 03:40:48 +0000

On Sun, Nov 23, 2008 at 10:32 PM, Bernd Schmidt <bernds_cb1@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> timofonic timofonic wrote:
>
>> It's not just about what do users need from WinUAE that UAE and E-UAE
>> don't have, that's the smaller part of the problem.
>>
>> The important thing is having an alive and maintained project that is
>> available on different platforms so people can enjoy their Amiga
>> software on any kind of platform and then Amiga can survive over the
>> years thanks to that project.
>
> UAE and E-UAE are multiplatform.  WinUAE has chosen not to be.
>
>> WinUAE is for Microsoft platforms, E-UAE is multiplatform. The problem
>> is that both need a project infrastructure, look at other successful
>> Free/Open Source projects and you will see what is needed.
>
> Needed for what?  What's the goal, or to repeat my question, what do you
> need that UAE or E-UAE don't already have?

A more open community that people can participate and motivate them to
do it, inviting people to submit patches and say what they think about
the project. In FOSS projects, developers usually start submitting
patches and usually small ones and then they start participating in a
more active way to the project progressively.

Mailing lists are good for certain developers discussions, but IRC and
forums are more accessible and people participate a lot more. Trolls
is a smaller problem, a bunch of good moderators can make them
disappear in a very fast way :)

Finding maintainers of certain E-UAE ports and making them official
porters from the project and generate official builds could be
something interesting.

More news about the project is a plus too. A site with a stronger
project looking is a plus too. There are other things of importance
but helping a bit like CIA.vc, blogs, etc...

>> I hope to be wrong, but it seems certain developers don't understand
>> how successful FOSS projects work and how communities are important
>> for the progress of the projects.
>
> UAE was a wildly successful FOSS project ten, fifteen years ago.  My
> impression is that
>  a) it's a mature project so it doesn't really attract new developers
>  b) most people have forgotten the Amiga by now

I don't think it's because of that. I still think it can be
revitalized, just merge stuff like the code of Mustafa Tufan and
convice him to collabore ocasionally. That's just one example :)

Maybe it's time to merge all forks into one, so E-UAE and UAE could
become one big project. This could make things stronger and helping to
have an image of unity.

About the project being too old for staying active, I don't think so.
There's older projects that are still active and similar projects that
have too much activity.

I think it's not only about a project being new or old, but managing
the project in a right way so people stay motivated to participate.
Stuff like Google Summer of Code helps a lot, for example. You see
companies like Cloanto take advantage of UAE and it's forks, maybe
it's time to say them to collabore and motivate them to do it too.

I think merge forks into one is very important for the Amiga emulation
world, but it's not the only thing it can be done.

People lost interest, mainly due to the bunch of liars, trolls,
stupids and scammers out there. But that crap is just a small part of
the community, I think it can be solved by motivating people and
showing them Amiga is a lot more than that.

Regards.