[THIN] Re: OT: Anti-Virus Vendors (AGAIN)

  • From: Lennart Koschella <lk@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 11 Feb 2004 13:14:43 +0100

techlists@xxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

>I'm telling this just to throw the information out there. What I'm
>concerned about though, is the dates on the virus defs. I scanned them on
>the 9th, and the virus defs were dated the 4th. Aren't there new viruses
>produced every day? If so, wouldn't you want a vendor that updates every
>day? Anyone else seen these problems with NAV?

There is a LiveUpdate from 9 February, but we have the same concerns here.
However, Symantec offers two update mechanisms: "LiveUpdate" and
"Intelligent Updater". They write on their website: "LiveUpdate definitions
are updated weekly, except for major outbreaks, when definitions are
updated more often [...] Intelligent Updater is updated daily during the
work week." (look at
http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/sharedtech.nsf/docid/2002021908382713?OpenDocument&src=sec_web_nam)

With kind regards,

Lennart Koschella