[THIN] OT: Anti-Virus Vendors (AGAIN)

  • From: Jeff Durbin <techlists@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 11 Feb 2004 15:10:30 +1300

There was a discussion last month about which AV vendor has the best
product. Yesterday, I scanned 3 machines at one of my customers with Trend
Micro's Housecall - the free online virus scan. All three machines were
running Norton AntiVirus (either 2000 or 2003) and all had the latest AV
definitions from Symantec. I found viruses on two of the three machines.
Norton's realtime protection was enabled on all of them, so it wasn't that
it hadn't seen the files. In fact, once I found a virus on one, I scanned
the folder with NAV, which *didn't* find it.
  I'm telling this just to throw the information out there. What I'm
concerned about though, is the dates on the virus defs. I scanned them on
the 9th, and the virus defs were dated the 4th. Aren't there new viruses
produced every day? If so, wouldn't you want a vendor that updates every
day? Anyone else seen these problems with NAV?

Jeff Durbin

-- Type: application/ms-tnef
-- File: winmail.dat

than buying more servers.