[texbirds] Re: Blucher Park Bird Walks

  • From: "Judy Kestner" <jkestner@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <lmj6464@xxxxxxx>, <texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 14 Apr 2013 11:28:30 -0500

Susan Foster and I joined the birders at Blucher Park in Corpus Christi
yesterday.

After the walk ended we took two couples visiting from Washington State to
Rose Hill Cemetery and Indian Point Park.  It's so much fun to show our
local birds to out-of-staters!!

Rose Hill was great -- Scarlet Tanagers, Kentucky Warbler, a
Chuck-will's-widow, Blue-headed Vireo singing its head off and the usual
other suspects.  At Indian Point our visitors were thrilled with American
Oystercatchers, a Neotropic Cormorant with white around the beak (forgot to
wipe off the toothpaste -- LOL) and white plumes on the head and, our
parting shot, a Great Blue Heron walking so very gingerly toward shore with
a fish the size of New Jersey in its beak.

Stopped by Tule Lake on my way back to Calallen -- Clapper Rail calling
RIGHT UNDER MY FEET! though of course I did not see the thing, as well as
about six Wilson's Phalaropes with females all prettied up, American Avocets
in glorious breeding plumage, Yellow-crowned Night Heron and too many others
loafing and napping in the stink.  (Funny how that smell fades away as you
become absorbed in the birding!)

Judy Kestner
Corpus Christi