[TechAssist] Re: Sony KV27FS100L

  • From: Paul <dntwntv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: techassist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 3 Oct 2005 10:49:44 -0700 (PDT)

Russ
   That is an interesting situation. Do you remember if the power supply in the
Sony had two switching mosfets or not?
                              Paul
Hoyt's TV <hoytstv@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Paul, Try disconnecting the anode lead and see if it will run.

I had a KV24FS100 that I repaired the power supply and replaced the HOT and
it would then fire up to a lower than normal HV for a few seconds and go
into shutdown. After a conversation with the Sony Tech at Fultons and doing
the testing he recommended, we decided it needed a HO Transformer even
though it rang OK.

I put that in and it still did the same thing. That's where the customer
said "uncle" and I quit working on it.

A few weeks later I got in a JVC (I think) that was doing the same thing but
the power supply was OK. The H wave forms looked exactly the same as what
the Sony tech said indicated a bad IHVT. The two transformers appeared to be
identical so I put in the new Sony one and got the same results.

For some reason I decided to hook the chassis up to my test jig to see what
would happen. It worked fine on the test jig. I plugged the factory yoke
back in and it still worked fine and stayed on, without any vertical
deflection on the test jig of course. But when I hooked it back up to it's
own CRT it went into shutdown. I unhooked the anode lead and it kept
running. So there must have been an anode short in the CRT.

I never tried the Sony again to see if it had an anode short because I had
removed all the power supply and HV parts when I quit working on it.

Russ Hoyt
Hoyt's TV
Exeter, NH