[tech-spec] Re: R arguments

  • From: BBands <BBands@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "'tech-spec@xxxxxxxxxxxxx'" <tech-spec@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 14 Oct 2004 08:56:22 -0700

> However,
> its narrow use domain makes me shiver, and wonder why more
> people aren't
> attempting similar things with simpler languages like python.
>
> I am a c++ nut, but even I realize that productivity is not
> always all
> that, and some constructs can more easily be compartmentalized in low
> level languages, and exported to higher level script/interpreted
> languages.
>
> I'm sure the skillset on the list is varied, but does anyone
> use python on any level?

Python is my language of choice. I find I can get a lot done in a very short
amount of time with it. I have been working on an open-source quantitative
technical analysis program in Python this year and am very happy with it. It
is called Crusher, as in number crusher. We even pass some of the lifting to
R via Rpy.

    --jab