[tech-spec] Re: R arguments

  • From: Tom McCubbin <tmccubbin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: tech-spec@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 14 Oct 2004 11:14:32 -0400

I've never met a 4G/L that i like, and i happily recommend postfix
instead of sendmail.

There is  a terrible 4G/L from the folks at FAME ( Forcasting Analytic
Modeling Environment ) that i taught for many years at various central
banks, and many an i-bank.  Its closed, and its dead.  That's why the S
language is better, i guess, surviving because of it openness.  However,
its narrow use domain makes me shiver, and wonder why more people aren't
attempting similar things with simpler languages like python.

I am a c++ nut, but even I realize that productivity is not always all
that, and some constructs can more easily be compartmentalized in low
level languages, and exported to higher level script/interpreted
languages.

I'm sure the skillset on the list is varied, but does anyone use python
on any level?

-tom