[TCUG] Re: american ped phases idea

  • From: "Wheatley,Graham (Environmental Services)" <Graham.Wheatley@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <tcug@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 18 Jun 2004 12:40:44 +0100

Alan

The signals in America appear change from State to State.
When the walking 'green' man is on, in NY, traffic on the adjacent =
traffic
phase can turn onto the crossing but has to give way to pedestrians on =
the=20
crossing, which seems strange for a Country as litigation mad as =
America.
In some areas traffic can also turn right against a red signal.
Not signals related - vehicles must have their headlights on when it is =
raining.
More wacky ideas?

Graham Wheatley
Senior Projects Engineer.

Behalf Of Shailes Alan
> Sent: 16 June 2004 09:51
> To:   'tcug@xxxxxxxxxxxxx'
> Subject:      [TCUG] american ped phases idea
>=20
> At some junctions in America there is no 'walking man' signal but =
instead a
> straight 10 second count down for walk time, this is in place at very =
busy
> junctions and although it may seem harsh on peds it works because =
everyone
> knows where they stand (excuse the pun), peds can judge if they have =
enough
> time to cross if not they wait, slow moving peds know when the start =
of the
> ped phase occurs so they can give themselves the full 10 seconds .
> I wonder how much net delay is caused in the UK by faulty on crossing
> detectors going PD (would probably gridlock some American cities!!) We =
also
> don't use kerbsides in Cornwall which has reduced delays.
> =20
>=20
> A l a n  S h a i l e s
> C o r n w a l l  C o u n t y  C o u n c i l
>=20
>=20
>=20
> Important: This e-mail and its attachments are intended for the=20
> above-named only and may be confidential.  If they have come=20
> to you in error you must take no action based on them, nor must
> you copy or show them to anyone;  please e-mail us immediately=20
> at enquiries@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
>=20
> Security Warning: Although this e-mail and its attachments have
> been screened and are believed to be free from any virus, it is
> the responsibility of the recipient to ensure that they are virus =
free.
> The Authority will not accept liability for any damage caused by a =
virus.
>=20
>=20

WARNING!!
It is intended solely for the addressee. Unauthorised access to this email by
anyone else is prohibited.
If you have received this email in error or are reading it without
authorisation, any disclosure, copying,
distribution or any action taken or omitted to be taken in reliance on it, is
prohibited by
Derbyshire County Council and may be unlawful.

Senders and recipients of email should be aware that under the Data Protection
act 1998 [and the
Freedom of Information Act 2000], the contents may have to be disclosed to a
request.