[TCUG] american ped phases idea

  • From: Shailes Alan <ashailes@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "'tcug@xxxxxxxxxxxxx'" <tcug@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 16 Jun 2004 09:50:35 +0100

At some junctions in America there is no 'walking man' signal but instead a
straight 10 second count down for walk time, this is in place at very busy
junctions and although it may seem harsh on peds it works because everyone
knows where they stand (excuse the pun), peds can judge if they have enough
time to cross if not they wait, slow moving peds know when the start of the
ped phase occurs so they can give themselves the full 10 seconds .
I wonder how much net delay is caused in the UK by faulty on crossing
detectors going PD (would probably gridlock some American cities!!) We also
don't use kerbsides in Cornwall which has reduced delays.

A l a n  S h a i l e s
C o r n w a l l  C o u n t y  C o u n c i l

Important: This e-mail and its attachments are intended for the
above-named only and may be confidential.  If they have come
to you in error you must take no action based on them, nor must
you copy or show them to anyone;  please e-mail us immediately
at enquiries@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Security Warning: Although this e-mail and its attachments have
been screened and are believed to be free from any virus, it is
the responsibility of the recipient to ensure that they are virus free.
The Authority will not accept liability for any damage caused by a virus.