[TCUG] Wacky Ideas

  • From: "Bruce Slattery" <bruce_slattery@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <tcug@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 15 Jun 2004 22:14:04 +0100

In Bristol I would like to use speed detection equipment to cut the green =
for speeding vehicles rather than extend it as is normal in sde etc =
equipment.=20

This would involve detecting speeds and dropping the green signal in =
favour of a red signal. My proposaL is to leave the rest of the junction =
as if the green was still present and to provide a red light camera to =
catch the offending drivers.

We would probably need detection equipment located a couple of hundred =
metres out but that is not a real problem in these days of radio coms and =
fibe networks, we had even thought of using closely linked signals and =
passing the information between them.

There would of course need to be a lot of safeguards and I would propose =
using a 30 mph limit to start with but I believe we have to stop people =
from driving fast at signals in the knowledge that they will get more time =
to clear the junction if we want to improve road safety. =20

Any comments on this ?

Regards=20

Bruce Slattery
Traffic Signals Manager