[TCUG] Audible Signals

  • From: Tim Clark <Tim.Clark@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "tcug, forum" <tcug@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 14 Jan 2008 16:02:50 +0000

We have a Puffin crossing sited close to the doorway of a House of Fraser
department store. We have discovered that the doorway security system alarm
sounds similar to the crossing's audible signal. Although this doesn't operate
frequently one of our staff has witnessed pedestrians setting off to cross
against a red signal when it sounded.
I have spoken with the Store Manager who informs me that this is their standard
countywide system and that the tone cannot be altered. The volume has been set
to suit their needs but would be heard from the crossing at any volume. She
could offer no solutions but was concerned about the possiblity of claims of
liability against the store if there were an accident.

Has anyone experience of a similar problem, if so what steps did you take and
did you consider the legal and safety aspects? We are considering adding "cross
with green figure" signing.

T Clark
Senior Engineer

Lincolnshire County Council
City Hall
Beaumont Fee
Lincoln
LN1 1DN

Trafficsignals@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx<mailto:Trafficsignals@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Customer Service Centre: (01522) 782070

If you are unhappy with any aspect of the service we have provided and wish to
register a formal complaint, please telephone to request a copy of the County
Council's leaflet How to Complain. Alternatively this information can be found
on the County Council's website at www.lincolnshire.gov.uk

Note: We are a Microsoft Office site.  Our base version is Office 2000.  Please
make sure that files you send can be read in this format.

distribution and/or publication of this e-mail is strictly prohibited unless
expressly authorised by the sender.

The information contained in this message is intended for the named  recipients
only.  It may contain privileged and confidential information and if you are
not the addressee or the person responsible for  delivering this to the
addressee, you  may not copy, distribute or take action in reliance on it.
If you have received this message in error, please notify the sender(s)
immediately by telephone.  Please also destroy  and delete as soon as possible
the message from your computer.