[tccrockets] Re: wireless Launcher

  • From: Eric Renger <ericrenger@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: tccrockets@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 6 Jul 2015 11:41:16 -0700

It sounds like there is potential for user error.

RTFM is always a good policy, but as a person who used to write a lot of M's,
we know that not everyone will R T F'ing things. Generally, the best policy is
if the design will save the user from making mistakes if at all possible, not
the manual! In certain situations, I used to tell developers, "You can't save
this design with documentation. You need to fix the design and save users from
themselves."

The danger I see is that if a person is unfamiliar with the design and
procedures, and they assume there is NO WAY it can light the igniter unless
someone is actually pushing the button (or an equipment malfunction), then it
could result in disaster. If the design is such that after one launch, the
system is not automatically safe to hook up the next bird without removing
leads or some other steps to make it safe, there is a potential to forget. Or
there is a potential for one group to leave the equipment unsafe for the next
group.

Of course, I'm saying all this without having ever seen this equipment and not
even a good familiarity with the usual club equipment, and i don't know what
kinds of procedures you had in place. It just sounds like the system can
accidentally be left in an unsafe state.

Eric

On Jul 6, 2015, at 11:05 AM, James Dougherty wrote:

Thanks Jack,

Yes, this is the correct sequence to make it work and what we did all weekend.

If you want to kill yourself, here is what you do:

1) Don't remove the safety interlock on the transmitter
2) Leave the alligator leads connected to the Receiver, connect igniter leads
to motor
3) Turn on the Receiver - it will make a beep beep beep and then you'll hear
the igniter pop and the rocket motor light

And the unit will turn on and fire the rocket if you do this.

This happened twice - once when Mike and I launched a Mad-Dog and once when
Dennis/Aidan were flying.
I spoke with them, showed them the above steps (which ARE in the manual) and
we never had an issue.

Clear example where you need to Read The F***in manual (RTFM) :-)

-James

On Mon, Jul 6, 2015 at 4:49 AM, Jack Garibaldi <jackgaribaldi@xxxxxxx> wrote:
James

Your sequence must be wrong if you are lighting igniters/rockets without
pushing any buttons

1. When you hook up igniter clips this wire should not be plugged into
the relay module

2. When you hook up relay module plug, your wireless relay module should
be off and the safety clip out

3. Now when you turn on Blue unit safety clip is out now put in safety
clip

4. If unit now goes off no one is by the rocket and you have a an issue
with unit

5. Unit will not turn on unless this sequence is followed

Jack