[SI-LIST] Re: Which tool is the best

  • From: MikonCons@xxxxxxx
  • To: si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 16 Apr 2004 19:59:44 EDT

I have read with interest the many comments (and expressed frustrations) with
many popular modeling and analysis tools. Interestingly, I have not seen
Micro-Cap (by Spectrum Software) mentioned.
I have used Micro-Cap as my basic modeling and analysis tool for over 15
years with great success. Over the past few months, I have had the pleasure of
participating in a Beta test of the just released Micro-Cap 8 (MC8). This new,
affordable program (IMHO) leapfrogs many of the common complaints I have heard
and read about. I believe it sets a new performance versus cost standard. For
those who want a quick look at the enhancements to (but by no means the full
capability of) MC8, I recommend a five minute visit to the "New Micro-Cap 8
Features" page at http://www.spectrum-soft.com/features.shtm. A visit to this
web
page will be an eye-opener. There are too many innovative features to list
here.

Depending on your formats (e.g., Touchstone), MC8 can handle S, Y, Z, G, or
H-parameters.... AND IBIS models. It also includes a NEW IBIS-to-SPICE
converter program, as well as an upgraded MODEL generation program. The
plotting
capabilities are integrated (not a separate tack-on), sophisticated (2D and
3D),
and can be exported in the seven (yes, 7) most used graphic formats for
incorporation into reports, presentatons, or whatever. I have found the
plotting
capabilitites and many analysis functions superior to programs costing five
times
as much.

Just in case you are wondering, I have no monetary or marketing connection
with Spectrum Software and receive no other form of gratuity or compensation
from them. I simply love the flexibility, robustness, and ease of use of this
program.

Note: I felt their MC7 demo program was very limited in scope (but still very
good) as to the range of capabilities it demonstrated. I hope they have an
expanded evaluation program for designers to try. You will have to explore that
for yourself.

Mike

Michael L. Conn
Owner/Principal Consultant
Mikon Consulting

*** Serving Your Needs with Technical Excellence ***

List FAQ wiki page is located at:

List technical documents are available at:
                http://www.si-list.org

List archives are viewable at: