[SI-LIST] Re: Which tool is the best

  • From: Ravinder.Ajmani@xxxxxxxx
  • To: si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 14 Apr 2004 14:47:30 -0700

I got in to Signal Integrity work around mid-nineties.  At that time, we
had a Cadence SigNoise license.  The software version had many bugs and I
got frustrated after trying it for a few times.  The set up was really
cumbersome, as our logic symbols were not designed with many SigNoise
parameters.  I looked at other tools, such as XTK (then owned by
ViewLogic), Interconnectix (then an independent company), UniCad, Pacific
Numerix, as well as Cadence BoardQuest.  I really liked XTK and
Interconnectix, but found that both had steep learning curve.  Since SI
was only a small part of my total work, I could not justify spending weeks
learning a tool, which I may best use once in a month or two months.
It was then I came across a demo version of HyperLynx (which was also
independent then), and developed an instant liking for it because of its
ease of use.  Within minutes, I was able to start simulation on a board. I
bought a node locked license of HyperSuite (including BoardSim and
LineSim), and have been using them ever since.  Later when HyperLynx came
out with Crosstalk module, I was one of their Beta testers.  The software
has grown in features and performance, and can no longer be considered a
low-end tool.  Its ease of use is just superb, and LineSim is a great tool
for pre-layout simulations.  That said, I have a few gripes about it.
1) The simulation step size is selected by the program (what Kellee calls
"expert system automation").  This sometimes causes problem when
simulating a driver with very fast slew rate.  One driver I use in our
design often causes high-frequency oscillations.  I had taken up this
issue with the support people but could not get a resolution mainly
because there is no user control on step size.
2) If one is using resistor packs as series terminators for a data bus,
then the input and output pins for resistors always get scrambled.  Thus
you will end up simulating two different nets, one from the driver to
resistor, and a totally different net from resistor to the receiver.
3) The EMI module can not simulate differential nets.
4) Batch mode requires that models be attached to the ICs being simulated.
 When an IBIS model is assigned to an IC, the default mode is receiver.
One has to select every pin individually to change the mode to driver.
Perhaps there is a simpler way that I am not aware of.
Currently, I am also using Cadence SPECCTRAQuest a lot for my simulation
work.  This tool has improved a lot from the SigNoise days.  Since we use
Cadence front-end and back-end tools, there is no need for translation.
SPECCTRAQuest has definitely more features than HyperLynx, and a much
better waveform display.  Differential signal simulation is also very
good, and I find batch simulation very useful.  My main issue with
SPECCTRAQuest is that unlike HyperLynx, I can't assign a single buffer to
one pin of an ASIC.  I have to create a model for the complete ASIC before
I can run simulation.  I can't export a net to SigXplorer unless I have
models assigned to drivers and receivers.  By the way, SigXplorer is not
as flexible as HyperLynx LineSim, since I can't build my own stackup. Also
at times during crosstalk simulation, simulator shows no crosstalk whereas
I can clearly see parallel nets at close spacing.  These same nets produce
significant crosstalk, when simulated on HyperLynx.
Overall, I find HyperLynx and SPECCTRAQuest as a good complementary pair
of tools, since each one has its strong points as well as weaknesses.
Regards, Ravinder
Server PCB Development
Hitachi Global Storage Technologies

Email: Ravinder.Ajmani@xxxxxxxx

Dan Bostan <dbostan@xxxxxxxxx>
Sent by: si-list-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
04/14/2004 11:42 AM
Please respond to dbostan

        To:     kelleecrisafulli@xxxxxxxxxxx, si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
        cc:
        From:   si-list-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
        Subject:        [SI-LIST] Re: Which tool is the best

A bird told me that the "new" Hyperlynx incorporates
now the XTK/Quad engine, which Mentor got from
Viewlogic/Innoveda, which was very, very good.
As you may see on the Mentor's web site, the XTK is
downplayed nowadays, and Hyperlynx is heavily
promoted, for good reasons...
/dan

--- Kellee Crisafulli <kelleecrisafulli@xxxxxxxxxxx>

List FAQ wiki page is located at: