[SI-LIST] Re: Which tool is the best

  • From: "Sol Tatlow" <Sol.Tatlow@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <cgrassosprint1@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>,"Mohanty, Girish C. (UMR-Student)" <gcm6w3@xxxxxxx>,<Ravinder.Ajmani@xxxxxxxx>, <dan.crain@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 15 Apr 2004 09:22:06 +0200

My penny's worth: if an SI-list is NOT the right place for a
discussion on SI tools, where is ?!?

It may be true that as a student you have free access to such
software. It may also be true that you can get 30 day trial licenses
to be able to 'try them out'.

But let's be honest: these are not java-based over-the-internet demo
games that you can 'play with' for 10 minutes, and know whether it's
going to be the right one for you. My experience is that to fully test
such a program, you could easily need 1 to 2+ weeks, and to test 4 or
more pieces of software - who on EARTH has that kind of time?!?

I find comments such as those of Ravinder Ajmani to be exactly the
right kind of comments - no sales person is going to tell you these
kinds of problems, and it might take weeks to discover these yourself,
although they could be critical to your own use of a particular package.
These comments help someone to narrow the choice down in fore-field,
so as to only have to evaluate one tool, at the most perhaps 2.

Comments such as Dan Crain's are also exactly on the button: if you
don't like a particular thread, 'sort by subject' in Outlook (or
similar) and hit delete, for crying out loud!
____________________________________
Sol Tatlow, M.Eng. (Oxon)
ProDesign Electronic & CAD Layout GmbH
Product Developer