[SI-LIST] Re: TCOmin < external buffer delay

  • From: "Peterson, James F (FL51)" <james.f.peterson@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: SI freelist <si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 20 Oct 2005 04:40:55 -0700

 B.R.,
When you say "common clock signal", I assume you mean a data signal that
leaves one flop and goes to another flop, and that both of these flops use a
common clock but are separated by a routed trace on a pcb.

If your ibis model has the same load as the datasheet, and you have a SI
simulator that corrects for this, then the negative delay is correct. What
to do with it? It goes into your overall hold time equation :

Th(margin)=Tco(min) + PCBdelay - CLKskew - Rcvr(hold)

In the above equation, your "PCBdelay" is negative - usually its a positive
number, but yours has been "load adjusted" (the key to understanding this is
to understand what "load adjusted" means, and it is out of the scope of an
email). if your answer is negative, then you have a hold time problem and
slowing down a clock can not cure it. The way to solve this problem is to
add copper to the PCB route, so that the answer is no longer negative.

(we've talked about this before on the SI-List, check the archives using a
words like "negative delay".)

regards,
Jim Peterson
Honeywell