[SI-LIST] Re: Insertion Loss of Passive Components

  • From: "Muranyi, Arpad" <arpad.muranyi@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 17 Dec 2006 13:08:13 -0800

Hello Everyone,

This "argument" about filter or not, SI engineer or RF
engineer all boils down to a basic communication problem,
which is forgetting to state what the assumptions are
behind the various statements.  Please do not forget that
most RF problems deal with steady-state analysis, which
is quite different from transient analysis SI engineers
are mostly concerned about.  (This is changing, though,
because more and more SI people are starting to use
frequency domain techniques also).

Anyway, a T-line can be viewed as many different things,
but these "equivalents" will only hold under certain
circumstances.  Yes, you can make it look like an open or
short using a certain length and a corresponding everlasting
(steady state) sinusoidal single frequency (or narrow band)
source, but the same analysis may fall apart for a step
function which is wide band and occurs at random or
infrequent intervals.

So before getting into each other's hair on whether it is
a filter or not, please define your assumptions and analysis
techniques to get on the same page...

Arpad
=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D