[SI-LIST] Re: Insertion Loss of Passive Components

  • From: agathon <hreidmarkailen@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: ryan.satrom@xxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 16 Dec 2006 14:12:14 -0800

Ryan,
I would submit that it really ought to help.  And, sorry, but please don't
claim that for SI Engineers in general.   :-)
All the laws of physics rule, not just some.
The net IS a filter.  And, if the section (170mil) is electrically short,
then lumped "filter" modeling could be a perfectly appropriate way to
understand and accurately model its interaction with the rest of the net.
It is a well known technique in any college microwave advanced text.  In
that case, the "propagation" is irrelevant and, if resonance is at work, the
variable t, for time, itself is irrelevant.  So, time to understand
filters.

On the other hand, I didn't read any convincing explanation of a "resonance"
on a bare diff pair with mismatched conductor lengths.  Most likely, the
higher loss of the pair was due to mode conversion due to the mismatch,
fixed mostly by the adjustment presented by the connector lead lengths,
which WOULD be simply a correction of unequal flight times -- most easily
viewed as a propagation issue; ie: time domain.

On 12/13/06, ryansatrom <ryan.satrom@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> John-
>
> You are correct.  As an SI Engineer, it doesn't help my understanding
> to view a net as a filter.  But that doesn't make it invalid.
>
> Thanks for the insight.
>
> Ryan Satrom
>

> --- In si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "Hill, John" <John.Hill@...> wrote:
> >
> > Ryan,
> >
> > I would summit to you that not all filters use lumped elements.
> Strip
> > line filters are just lengths of coupled transmission lines and they
> > make very good microware filters.=3D20
> >
> > You can also consider a length of coupled transmission lines as two
> > transmission lines with crosstalk. The vantage point depends a lot
> on if
> > you are an SI engineer or an RF engineer.=3D20
> >
> > Best regards,
> >
> > John =3D20
> >
> > John Hill
> > Design Engineer
> > TK  HOLDINGS INC  =3D20
> > Electronics=3D20
> > 27200 Haggerty Road  Suite B-12 =3D20
> > Farmington Hills, MI 48331
> > Office Phone: 248 699 2915
> > Mobile Phone 248 765 3599
> >

> > =3D20
> >
> > ---------------------------------------
> > The information in this email and attachments hereto may contain
> legally =3D
> > privileged, proprietary or confidential information that is
> intended for =3D
> > a particular recipient. If you are not the intended recipient(s),
> or the =3D
> > employee or agent responsible for delivery of this message to the =3D
> > intended recipient(s), you are hereby notified that any disclosure,
> =3D
> > copying, distribution, retention or use of the contents of this e-
> mail =3D
> > information is prohibited and may be unlawful. When addressed to
> Takata =3D
> > customers or vendors, any information contained in this e-mail is =3D
> > subject to the terms and conditions in the governing contract, if =3D
> > applicable. If you have received this communication in error,
> please =3D
> > immediately notify us by return e-mail, permanently delete any =3D
> > electronic copies of this communication and destroy any paper
> copies.

List FAQ wiki page is located at:

List technical documents are available at:
                http://www.si-list.org