[SI-LIST] Insertion Loss of Passive Components

  • From: "ryansatrom" <ryan.satrom@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 12 Dec 2006 20:49:28 -0000

SI-Listers:

I have set up a simulation and am very confused by the results.  I
have a differential trace in series with a connector launch.

I am getting very strange insertion loss results so I'm hoping
somebody could help advise me as to whether my model is wrong, or I
am wrong.

When I view the differential insertion loss of the system (both
subcircuits in series), the loss is better (there is less loss) than
the differential insertion of the trace only.  Is this possible?  I
always thought that it was impossible to improve the insertion loss
by adding a passive component.  And I think I still believe that, but
now I'm getting a little confused.

It's also important to note that the single-ended insertion loss
results seem to be as expected.  That is, the insertion loss of the
system is worse than the insertion loss of either individual
component.

Is something occurring with the differential signal to allow it to
perform better?

Please advise.  Thanks in advance for your response.

Ryan Satrom
Everett Charles Technologies
ryan.satrom@xxxxxxxxxxx

List FAQ wiki page is located at: