[SI-LIST] Re: Insertion Loss of Passive Components

  • From: "Hill, John" <John.Hill@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <ryan.satrom@xxxxxxxxxxx>, <si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 13 Dec 2006 09:38:19 -0500

Ryan,

Consider a filter, in the pass band the filter can have a lot of
inductors and capacitors between the source and the load, but the
insertion loss is low. This is because all of the inductances and
capacitances resonate together without changing the real value of the
impedance.

Now consider the same filter in the stop band. The inductors and
capacitances do not resonate together and either changes the real value
of the filter or makes it very non-real.=20

The point is that in the pass band the filter correctly matches the
source impedance to the load impedance and in the stop band the filter
deliberately miss-matches the impedances.=20

Look at your circuit as a filter. Is it matching or miss-matching the
source to the load? Remember digital signal are wide band signals. We
typically need to design our signal paths as low pass filters with high
cutoff frequencies.

As we all know, it is an analog world.

Best regards,

John

John Hill
Design Engineer
TK  HOLDINGS INC  =20
Electronics=20
27200 Haggerty Road  Suite B-12 =20
Farmington Hills, MI 48331
Office Phone: 248 699 2915
Mobile Phone 248 765 3599

=20

---------------------------------------
The information in this email and attachments hereto may contain legally =
privileged, proprietary or confidential information that is intended for =
a particular recipient. If you are not the intended recipient(s), or the =
employee or agent responsible for delivery of this message to the =
intended recipient(s), you are hereby notified that any disclosure, =
copying, distribution, retention or use of the contents of this e-mail =
information is prohibited and may be unlawful. When addressed to Takata =
customers or vendors, any information contained in this e-mail is =
subject to the terms and conditions in the governing contract, if =
applicable. If you have received this communication in error, please =
immediately notify us by return e-mail, permanently delete any =
electronic copies of this communication and destroy any paper copies.