[SI-LIST] Re: DesignCon Papers

  • From: "Peterson, James F (FL51)" <james.f.peterson@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: 'silist' <si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 8 Feb 2005 05:52:31 -0700

 Reasonable questions Bob. We should always carefully evaluate the worth of
SI practices. We should always try to verify by measurement some of what we
simulate. We should always try to understand why they don't agree. If we do
this, then we gain more confidence in our simulations and they become more
accurate.

Years ago when we didn't have to worry about this as much, our FPGAs and
large components had less current and higher voltages. My current design's
FPGA has a core voltage of 1.5V and dynamic current of 5A. At +/-5% I have
to stay within 75mV of that voltage and deliver 5A (that's 15mOhms). Now if
i don't simulate to verify my circuitry, and I just throw some caps at it,
it might still work in the lab - after all there is some margin in that +/-
5%, but what happens to my company's profits if it has to recall 1% of 10's
of thousands of shipped products because of intermittent failures. (One of
my professors at school use to tell me "doctors can kill people one at a
time, but engineers can kill 100s at a time" - well, engineers also have the
power to kill companies.)

Also, it's been my impression that the more I simulate the less conservative
I become.

Finally, I don't believe PI simulation is expensive (an eval copy of SPICE
might do it).

Jim Peterson
Honeywell