[SI-LIST] Re: Decoupling capacitors

  • From: "Muranyi, Arpad" <arpad.muranyi@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 17 May 2005 10:28:21 -0700

While there may be a lot of truth in the writing of Stefan
below, I wonder whether what he writes is the main or only
reason.

Think about it this way:  The package acts as a bottle neck.
You need to push a lot of current through it and do it so that
it can have large sudden changes.  No matter how much a mother
board maker is willing to spend on their design, there is a
limit for how much current can be forced through the bottle
neck.  Beyond a certain point, no matter what you do on the
mother board, you will simply not be able to push more current
trough a low cost package.  So my gut feeling is that Intel
may not just do this to be nice to the mother board makers,
and thereby win more customers for our CPUs...

Arpad