[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: how To Better The Breed

  • From: Stormy435@xxxxxxx
  • To: MarcatoGSD@xxxxxxx, Showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 9 Dec 2005 11:47:38 EST

My first mentor in German Shepherds was an obedience Club workshop instructor
who had Samoyeds, and I went to AllBreed Handling Classes.
Learning about showing dogs, with or without a mentor, is accepting
instruction, reading, reading, reading, having an open, absorbing mind, ability
to take
criticism (lots of it at times ;-), and accepting that there are failures as
well as successes.

Driving to shows, absorbing what is going on in the ring, asking people if
they would mind talking with you (after the show), being OPEN.   If it's a
specialty show, go early, stay late.   If it's an all breed show, wander around
the
set-ups until you see a GSD set-up, then watch and absorb.   Don't push, but
be there when the groomers/handlers, etc., talk to you.

And when you get that nice bitch, and it's a show dogs, for heaven's sake,
show it!   The biggest disappointment a breeder can have is to place a
beautiful
show dog in a NEWBY home, hoping to bring new people into the fancy, with all
the promises of future showing, then never see it again.

Stormy
In a message dated 12/9/05 6:31:39 AM, Pinehillgsds@xxxxxxx writes:

> In a message dated 12/8/2005 11:47:06 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
> MarcatoGSD@xxxxxxx writes:
> I've  belonged to my local all breed club for the past 3 years (I've been
> going  there for four).  I help teach Puppy Class, Graduate Puppy class,
> and
> Beginners Obedience...been doing that for all of those 4  years.
> However, all of my friends are primarily performance people, not
> conformation.  I'm friends with two conformation people who have  completely
> different
> types of dog from me (they own  Dobermans).
>
> It's not feasible for me to drive 2.5 hours to the GSD club  that's down
> near
> Milwaukee, and you certainly can't say I don't want it  bad enough, because
> go to as many shows as I can and I try to talk to as  many people as I can.
> But
> for the amount of training I do, I can't  afford a 5 hour round trip 5 times
> week to "get ahead"
>
> What do  you suggest in a situation like this?
>

> Who says you have to go to the location of your regional club 5x a  week?
>
> IF you want this bad enough, sooner or later you'll take a look at that you
> ARE doing, and IF it's not working you re-prioritize how you spend your
> time
> and do things differently. Actually, that's a pretty simple premise for all
> things in life

Stormy Hope
www.FairhopeGSD.com