[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: how To Better The Breed

  • From: Gatlinp@xxxxxxx
  • To: domara4@xxxxxxxxxxx, MarcatoGSD@xxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 8 Dec 2005 16:09:39 EST

In a message dated 12/8/2005 11:57:42 AM Pacific Standard Time,
domara4@xxxxxxxxxxx writes:
We  forget that in any new endeaver there should be a mentor.   If we  all
think about how we started and whether we were successful, maybe we  had
someone to learn from..
People new to any field, need help.   Not everyone is aware of this, and
some make it on their own after many  trials and tribulations (I love
saying this), but,  most do  not.
Instead of being holier than thou, why isnt there sombody to help,
instead of hindering.
Barbara
who tries to act like a grownup,  sometimes!

You are sooo right. When I first started in the breed I had two mentors,
John Neff (Poplar Creek Kennels and Art and Helen Hess (Hessian Kennels) where
bought my first dog in 1967. I attended shows with these people and learned
structure, form, function and movement. I was quizzed on all classes and all
dogs that were entered. Health and longevity were important to both of my
mentors. Some other things were not as important. We studied pedigrees and
bloodlines. All in all it was a wonderful and knowledge gaining  experience.

When I moved to Georgia I had many people who continued my mentoring
program. Bobbie and Frank Cloudt, Don Jones, Sally Holcombe. Took something
from
everyone. Education is an ongoing process. In the wise words of by Grandmother,

if you don't learn something new every day then you have wasted the day. Peg

Home of Ch.  Campaigners Honor Guard TC, Ch.Hei-Kob's Sweet Cream TC, Ch.
Legends Magic Onyx  of KcK