[ SHOWGSD-L ] Topic change - was Apology to The List

  • From: falkrigia@xxxxxxx
  • To: ninemaplefarm@xxxxxx, terraf@xxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 7 Dec 2011 10:59:49 -0500 (EST)

Sara,

I show in the all-breed and specialty rings, have german, czeck and
american dogs and Champion american and german/american crosses and
performance dogs and have  shown CONSTANTLY all over for 30 years (
Holy cow :-) dating myself ).
I've also occasionally heard the comments you say you are hearing 'all
the time' and they were almost invariably from people who know nothing
about the true functional movement of the german shepherd dog.

My advice to you would be to find a person in your area who shows GSDs
both in breed and in performance SUCCESSFULLY and ask them to mentor
you and listen with an open mind and heart and learn from them. THEN
educate those who say the things you say you hear because believe me,
once you are around some GSDs who 'have it all' you'll realize how
short-sighted most of these comments really are.

i am currently mentoring a german dog owner with very much the same
questions you have who fell in love with my young german/american show
dogs and is going to be breeding her awesome german bitch to my
specialty Grand Champion because she understands the structure needed
for the movement she now loves.

yes, there is overangulation and temperament problems and most everyone
who has been 'in the breed' IN ANY BREED has experienced most all of
the possible problems at one time or another but these are actually the
exceptions - not the rule - as you say, in my 30 years of experience.
And no one deliberately breeds for these things who wants to be
successful but young pups and young dogs can exhibit 'problems' that
they 'grow into' as mature dogs which make them the incredible animals
they are. Many a superb adult was a gangly, awkward, strongly angulated
youngster.. i'd bet 'The Rock' didn't look or act at 14 like he does
today ;-) Age is a consideration also when condemning angulation and
sometimes temperament.

yes, there are 'bad' ones but that is a fact of nature in any species.
yes, deliberate breeding can increase that. But it can also improve the
breed.
We just all have to be careful and know what is functionally correct
for our breed.
lynda

Gene Workman
Lynda Bragg-Workman
www.falkrigiashepherds.com
www.thecraftywoodchuck.com
Appaloosa Acres - an Equine and Canine facility
Old Fella Burke County Animal Rescue - training director

"I expect to pass through this world but once. Any good thing,
therefore, that I can do or any kindness that I can show to any fellow
creature, let me do it now. Let me not defer nor neglect it, for I
shall not pass this way again".  du Mabillier (1773-1855)