[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: GSD Judges

  • From: Michel Chaloux <michel.chaloux@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: VPREZHMF@xxxxxxx, showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, marhaven@xxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 16 Dec 2005 22:09:38 -0500

Great post Helen.
I'm 100% in agreement with you.
Michel
in a very,very snowy Montreal

-----Message d'origine-----
De : showgsd-l-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
[mailto:showgsd-l-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx]De la part de VPREZHMF@xxxxxxx
Envoyé : 13 décembre 2005 10:15
À : showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx; marhaven@xxxxxxx
Objet : [ SHOWGSD-L ] GSD Judges

Reading all the discussion re GSD Judges,I  thought I'd contribute my
thoughts. First,when I got my license to judge GSD in 1965, I did ,like all
of you
do the first 2-3 yrs--judged lots and lots of Specialties,plus
Futurities,and
of course the National. Also, in those days,we had many  large All Breed
shows,like the International KC ,in Chicago,or Santa Barbara KC  in
Calif,and
Westbury KC in Long Island. These shows had very large GSD entries(  200
allowed
at that time) so the clubs always hired Specialty Judges for  the GSD. These
shows were also benched,as many All Breed shows were back  then.
Consequently,after judging the GSD all day,you were apt to stay around to
watch Groups ( to
see how my GSD would do <G>) and BIS. So you  mingled,watched and learned
about other breeds.. I love judging---still  do ,so decided to go for more
breeds.
I do 51/2 Groups,so I guess you can  classify me as All Breed. I personally
watch carefully on how often I do GSD at  an All Breed,because  there are
3-4
times the number of  shows as a  our Specialties.and the Supt. never bother
watch. For instance,this past  weekend, I judged Granite City KC,and they
had
the same judge doing GSD,as last  year. Now to the points I wanted to make
1).
You become a much better judge  of GSD,after doing some other related breeds
( Aussies,instead of Poodles)2.)  You learn something at AB that you never
learn doing just Specialties--that is  organization. Because you are on a
time
schedule,you learn to compare, judge,and  make decisions. This is why
Barbara
Amidon did such a good job at the National.  Barbara did AB shows,and judges
number of other breeds. 3.).You learn that you  are not  there to put on a
display of yourself,but to do a workman-like job  of judging. I judged three
days
in a row doing 175 dogs plus two Groups per  day,in Montana last year..  You
don't concern yourself,whether it's the  "right "dog, or whether it is going
please someone or not.You just get  in the ring and JUDGE dogs 4.)  We do
have a lot of AB, as well as  Specialty judges that no matter how many
seminars
they go to,how many books they  read,simply don't have the "eye"--and never
will do a good job.
    One last thing--Carolyn mentioned me walking the dogs  part way around
the ring.,at AB shows I still do that,but,first I have also  have gaited
them
around the ring 3 times ,and done partial judging already.  I do it for this
reason.You can see the slow motion action of the shoulder  very clearly,and
I'm a
bug on good fronts and shoulders. So ,after gaiting the  dogs first, looking
at the shoulder in slow motion,is just another judging tool  for me. And
when
you go that slow,it certainly shows some other  things as  well--like foot
dragging.and rolling backs.  Sorry  that this was such  a long email. Helen
Miller Fisher