[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: GSD Judges

  • From: "Harlowe Jahelka" <hcj2@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <GEschette@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 10 Dec 2005 23:49:50 -0600

Hi Greg,

Like Kay I am upset  by your post. But to avoid a verbal fight on the list I
am answering you in private!
I have been an AKC judge for over 35 years, Obedience since 1969 and
Conformation (GSD Breeder Judge since 1999. I became a member of the GSDCA
in 1960 with unbroken time since 1977 I have been a member of the GSD Clubs
of Los Angeles County, GSD Club of the San Gabriel Valley and the GSD Club
of Washington State. I have bred, trained and shown GSDs since 1956, I was
the original K9 Sgt and trainer for the Los Angeles County Sheriff's
Department (1977-1986) I finished my last GSD Champion in 2000. She was
shown in both the all breed and specialty rings and received her points and
majors from both multiple  breed judges and specialty judges. We show at all
breed shows because we also show another breed and like Kay it is necessary
to meet people from other breeds.

I judge mostly at all breed shows due to my obedience judging, I also judge
9 herding breeds and will apply for the remainder of the herding group when
I finish my last provisional assignment in March. Don't put judges like Kay
and I in a group of judges "they probably wont put up the same type of dog
that a  breeder judge who shows at specialty shows."

You show me a GSD that fits the standard and I will put him up. I have
attended and or Judged obedience or shown in conformation or obedience at
approx 15 GSD Nationals. I have attended 4 GSD judges seminars, and was
mentored by Helen Miller Fisher, Margaret Pooley (Rocky Reach Kennels),Mabel
and Spencer Fleming (OakGlen Kennels) Al and Joanna Rand (Randheim Kennels)
and Ralph Roberts.

 2 years ago while judging in South Carolina I had a below average entry of
class GSDs and was worried about what I was going to send to the herding
group. The first dog into the ring for BOB competition took my breath away.
I knew without even touching him that he would be my best of breed!!!!!
During pictures I found out that the dog was Xtra Xtra being shown by Kevin
Reynolds, his owner, and not his regular handler.

My point is that I know a good GSD as do most of the Multiple Breed Judges
that  are constantly being maligned by some of the people on the list! It
costs much time,  travel, education, and money to become an AKC judge and
even more of the above to add other breeds that you can judge. To become an
AKC Group Judge takes approx 5 to 10 years of work after being approved for
your first breed.
.
Without multiple breed judges there can not be a GSD herding group winner or
Best in Show!!!!!

Harlowe Jahelka, AKC Judge #1095