[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: GSD Judges

  • From: "RivendellP" <rivendellp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <michel.chaloux@xxxxxxxxxxxx>, <carolynmckenna@xxxxxxxxx>, <bedkar@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <EKOLAN1@xxxxxxx>, <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 13 Dec 2005 09:27:50 -0800

 A beautiful dog is a beautiful dog and a good judge will find it.

My group winner went on to BIS. A great Australian Shepherd name Chance.
Never saw the dog before and never heard about him. They told me after the
show that he is #2 herding dog in the state and group #2 at Westminster this
year. My group #2 a Pulik, 3 times National winner, My B.O.B. in Boxer was
#5 dog all-breeds in USA ( I did part of Working group)....My B.O.B. in GSD
a great bitch, a select at the US National.The group was extremely strong.

Paul adds...

Seems to me that the comment "A good dog is a good dog is a good dog" can
just as easily be changed to "A good Judge, is a good Judge, is a good
Judge.

Michel makes the point very well. I thank my lucky stars I spent so much
time at AB's after GSD judging was through. Watching other breeds is such a
+ when it later comes to judging any dog.

A case in point...years ago John Wilcox and I were sitting ringside at
Roseville CA Group. I made mention to John how I appreciated a Ruby King
Charles Spaniel and her motion. When the handler was in front of us, I made
the same comment to him. His eyes widened and he thanked me for noticing. He
told me she was an English import and most of the RKCS's being shown those
days had lost the beautiful front assemblies the breed is supposed to have.
He certainly made my day.

I highly recommend that people stay after GSD judging and expand their
knowledge by watching other breeds. That can only help to increase your
knowledge of your own breed. A good dog, is a good dog, is a good dog...in
any breed.

I certainly think the same is true for those who judge them.

Paul