[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: Fw: [amergsd] Stud Dog Owners

  • From: Elsyd1@xxxxxxx
  • To: showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 6 Aug 2005 12:32:25 EDT

Hi List, Edie and Jim have asked me to post this message from them  regarding
the Judith Hale puppies. Hope this clears things up, and stops the  gossip.
Thanks. Syd

In a message dated 8/5/2005 9:59:23 P.M. Pacific Standard Time,
GSDHALLMARK@xxxxxxx writes:

Geez, things can get squishy around here.

Okay, let's start from the beginning.

Sonny is OFA good, DJD 1 in one elbow.  He is German bred w/ some of  the top
bloodlines in Germany.  Every dog in his pedigree has good hips,  has to by
German standards.

Sonny was used on other bitches before the breedings to Gigi (of which we
have no ownership).  The litters were vibrant and healthy.

He was then bred to Gigi, who we were told is OFA  Excellent.  Ch. Azeri
(Annie) was a product of that breeding.  She  was prelimmed and we were told
her
hips were good.  Victory kennels have  managed her career since she was sold
and have done a wonderful job w/  her.

The breeder bred Gigi again to Sonny.  This litter produced Callie -  owned
by Victory Kennels and co-owned by us, Hallmark - (5 of 7 specialty BP  from
the start and went WB and RWB her first time in the adult classes-thank  you
Ken
and Kathy) and Cherry.  We bought Cherry from the breeder and  when we had
her prelimmed, the vet said she could maybe go fair.  That  obviously wasn't
good enough to remain in our breeding program so we placed  her in a wonderful
pet home.

Callie's x-rays looked good so the breeder bred Gigi again to  Sonny.  Again,
remember this was an OFA good dog w/ all good hips behind  him bred to an OFA
Excellent bitch.

This litter produced some awesome boys!  A friend of ours bought one  from
the breeder and had him x-rayed and everything looked awesome.  This  pup is
being shown and herding 3 x a week and is like a genius!

We just found out a month ago, one of Callie's littermates wouldn't x-ray
from the 2nd litter and one from the 3rd litter wouldn't x-ray-which we just
found out this week.  Mind you, these repeat breedings were performed by  the
breeder with only knowledge of dogs getting prelimmed w/ good hips.   Some of
the owners didn't have their dogs prelimmed when the repeats were  done.

At the time the repeats were done, everyone but Cherry was looking very  good
orthopedically.

I can only speak for us, as stud dog owners, that we wouldn't have  allowed
any additional breedings if we had known there were bad hips  involved.

Again, Sonny has been used before, during and after these breedings w/  Gigi
and there have been no problems.  It does take TWO dogs to make  puppies after
all.

As far as Victory Kennels go, they have managed Annie, bought 1/2 of  Callie
and scooped up 2 pups from the 3rd breeding, one of which Bill Tank  co-owns
(who is a wonderful pup).  We all had the same knowledge base of  orthopedics
and as the stud dog owner, we can say that all information we had  gleaned was
good.

All this information just came about in the last few days.  It  shocked us as
just as it has shocked Victory and the owner of the pup in  litter #3.  As
far as we knew, as far as EVERYONE knew, everything was  good.

We have learned a few lessons - one of which is to wait longer  before
allowing repeats.  Although, the orthopedic information we  HAD received at the
time
of each repeat was good and everyone involved had the  same information.

We are extremely responsible w/ Sonny and our dogs in general.   Anyone who
knows us knows how much we love and cherish our dogs and the  breed.  Anyone
who knows us knows that we wouldn't carelessly and  purposefully breed any dogs
that produced known faults.

We allowed an OFA Excellent bitch to be bred to an OFA Good dog w/ all  good
hips behind him.  The bitch comes from one of the top stud dogs in  the breed
and Sonny, too, comes from the best German bloodlines.

We allowed these breedings and the repeats because everyone was  prelimming
fine, the pups had tremendous temperaments, work ethics, beauty and  movement.
We continue to believe in Sonny.

I hope everyone w/ a stud dog out there reads this, because if your dog
produces any problems, no one remembers there is a bitch involved as well  and
some people turn on you.

Jim and Edie Hall

Hallmark German Shepherds
'The Best of Both Worlds'