[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: Fw: [amergsd] Stud Dog Owners

  • From: "Liane Fossland" <lfossland@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Susan Madlung" <stormygsd@xxxxxxx>, Elsyd1@xxxxxxx, showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 6 Aug 2005 13:06:10 -0700

Susan is right, we who own stud dogs are just as responsible for helping to
bring these puppies into the world. There will always be problems surfacing
when your stud dog is bred
a great deal and to different bitches.
Sometimes these things do happen, I personally bred my good H/E bitch to a
male good H/E and had a puppy with bad elbows. What you do once you found
that out is what is important. I went as far as had surgery done on this
puppy and then gave him away to a good home. Lots of dollars down the
drain, but I felt responsible but also felt good about what I'd done. My
bitch was spayed.
When you have a stud dog, don't you keep track of the progeny? It just
makes good sense.
So, actually, the stud dog owner should have had a picture of what his dog
and the bitch are able to produce together and if there were any problems
then why do a 3rd and even 4th repeat?
Also, did the owner of the stud dog see the OFA Excellent certification on
the bitch? There is a web site which gives the results of every dog OFA'd,
I think only those who passed are there, am I correct? Can't remember the
web site but one of you I am sure knows.
Just my 2 cents worth.
Lee

Some
> of
> > the owners didn't have their dogs prelimmed when the repeats were  done.
> >
> > At the time the repeats were done, everyone but Cherry was looking very
> good
> > orthopedically.
> >
> > I can only speak for us, as stud dog owners, that we wouldn't have
> allowed
> > any additional breedings if we had known there were bad hips  involved.
> >
> > Again, Sonny has been used before, during and after these breedings w/
> Gigi
> > and there have been no problems.  It does take TWO dogs to make  puppies
> after
> > all.
> >
> > As far as Victory Kennels go, they have managed Annie, bought 1/2 of
> Callie
> > and scooped up 2 pups from the 3rd breeding, one of which Bill Tank
> co-owns
> > (who is a wonderful pup).  We all had the same knowledge base of
> orthopedics
> > and as the stud dog owner, we can say that all information we had
gleaned
> was
> > good.
> >
> > All this information just came about in the last few days.  It  shocked
us
> as
> > just as it has shocked Victory and the owner of the pup in  litter #3.
As
> > far as we knew, as far as EVERYONE knew, everything was  good.
> >
> > We have learned a few lessons - one of which is to wait longer  before
> > allowing repeats.  Although, the orthopedic information we  HAD received
> at the time
> > of each repeat was good and everyone involved had the  same information.
> >
> > We are extremely responsible w/ Sonny and our dogs in general.   Anyone
> who
> > knows us knows how much we love and cherish our dogs and the  breed.
> Anyone
> > who knows us knows that we wouldn't carelessly and  purposefully breed
any
> dogs
> > that produced known faults.
> >
> > We allowed an OFA Excellent bitch to be bred to an OFA Good dog w/ all
> good
> > hips behind him.  The bitch comes from one of the top stud dogs in  the
> breed
> > and Sonny, too, comes from the best German bloodlines.
> >
> > We allowed these breedings and the repeats because everyone was
> prelimming
> > fine, the pups had tremendous temperaments, work ethics, beauty and
> movement.
> > We continue to believe in Sonny.
> >
> > I hope everyone w/ a stud dog out there reads this, because if your dog
> > produces any problems, no one remembers there is a bitch involved as
well
> and
> > some people turn on you.
> >
> > Jim and Edie Hall
> >

> > Hallmark German Shepherds
> > 'The Best of Both Worlds'
> > Top American  And German Lines
> > _www.gsdhallmark.homestead.com/index.html_
> > (http://www.gsdhallmark.homestead.com/index.html)
> >

> > Syd Mailberg  425-432-4144
> > 23910 SE 276th St
> > Maple Valley, Wa.  98038
> > www.kingswoodgermanshepherds.homestead.com

> > POST is Copyrighted 2005.  All material remains the property of the
FORWARDS
> of any kind are permitted without prior permission of the original author
> AND of the Showgsd-l Management. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED.
> >
> > ALL PERSONS ARE ON NOTICE THAT THE FORWARDING, REPRODUCTION OR USE IN
ANY
BE