[sac-board] Re: SAC 2002 Budget and 2003 Recommendations

  • From: Paul Dickson <dickson@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: sac-board@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 7 Jun 2002 19:38:40 -0700

On Fri, 7 Jun 2002 12:18:32 -0700, Steve Coe wrote:

> 6.  Get all the "stuff" that the club has acquired over the last two
> years and see what we can sell off.  There is no reason for this club
> to own large amounts of real property.  Virtually all the club
> members have their own telescopes, eyepieces and star charts and very
> few people make use of the club library that I know of.  Let's make a
> future meeting date a Swap Meet, and rather than have Show and Tell
> portion, we will have a short business meeting and then a long break
> before the speaker.  The long break will allow members, and others,
> to look over what we have to sell.  Also allow members to show up and
> sell any of their used equipment or books.

Please look up the definition of "real property".  The club owns no
real property.

As far as I know, the club has gathered nothing in the past two years.
I guess you're talking about the Grants and Scholarship donations.
That stuff does not belong to SAC, but to that fund.  Selling those
items will not help SAC.

Jack and I discussed the idea of a swap meet to sell items.  He felt
it was a bad idea because items would end up going to whoever showed
up first and we would find it difficult to track what was paid for and
what wasn't, and people bringing in the items would not have a change
to purchase things (unless they only carried in what they wanted to
buy).  It would be much better to auction off the items.

SAC owns 2 C-8 telescopes and a Pierre built 6" Dob.  If we could find
them, maybe we could sell them.