[sac-board] Re: SAC 2002 Budget and 2003 Recommendations

  • From: SaguaroAstro@xxxxxxx
  • To: sac-board@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 7 Jun 2002 19:01:32 EDT

MTCW.

I too, echo Steve's recommendation to leave the dues where they are. As Rick
Rotramel stated we always seem to manage. It seems based on Paul's report,
that we are essentially breaking even. I see no need to turn a profit. In
seven years I never heard a treasurer's report where we had no money. In fact
we always seem to commenting on how much we have.

As for prorating the dues for renewing members, I've reread the bylaws on
this and by my interpretation there is no prorating. I copy and paste the
appropriate sections here:

Article VIII: Moneys and Properties
2   Annual dues shall become due and payable at the beginning of the fiscal
year. New members joining at other times will be charged on a pro-rated basis
based on the quarter the application is accepted as shown:
a)  Fiscal Quarter: 1st-100%; 2nd â??75%; 3rd-50%; 4th-25%
3   Any member whose dues are delinquent for more than 60 days shall be
automatically terminated from membership. Any terminated member reapplying
for membership shall pay all back dues or a reinstatement fee as shown in the
attached schedule.

The first section highlighted refers to the admission of new members. No
problem here, as it is only fair that a new member pay only for the portion
of the year in which they join.

As for renewals, please note the second highlighted section states that a
delinquent member must pay ALL (my emphasis) back dues owed, plus a penalty
which is not directly stated. There is no "schedule" associated with this
clause. This makes sense as well. By allowing Prorating members can wait and
essentially reduce tier dues. By adding a penalty on top of a full years
dues, we can increase the timeliness of renewals and income as well. I
believe there was just some confusion on the wording here but in retrospect
it seems pretty clear to me. I would propose if any action is taken here, it
be the establishment of a schedule of reinstatement fees.

BTW, In past years I cannot recall pro rating of dues for late renewing
members. This is the first time I've seen this done.

Rick Tejera
Editor SACnews
Saguaro Astronomy Club
Phoenix, Arizona