[rollei_list] Re: VERY OT: Lucas Electrical Systems

  • From: CarlosMFreaza <cmfreaza@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 29 Oct 2009 11:12:49 -0300

2009/10/29, Austin Franklin <austin.franklin@xxxxxxxxxxx>:

> I've restored and/or owned at least some 30+ Mercedes and Porsches, and some
> dozen British cars...."

Hi Austin:
                You recalled me the only real experience I had about
cars mechanics despite I like cars very much. I had a Fiat Duna (it
was a Fiat Uno with boot) bought brand new, after one year of use I
had no a minimal problem with the car, but that day, a Sunday, the
radiator broke. I had a serious travel compromise linked to my work
for the next day and it was 5 P.M., this Fiat radiator was not
repairable and you needed to replace it. I could buy a new one from a
guy that had his store beside his home, but he couldn't replace it due
to a birthday party, anyway he gave me his phone number saying "if you
need help call me and be careful if you do the work, your car's
radiator is linked to the air conditioning radiator(condenser), you
could break something", I couldn't find a mechanic that Sunday to do
the work and then I thought "if a mechanic can do it, I also can do
it, I'm a human being too". I had a very elemental tool box and
started to disassemble the radiator at about 6.30PM.

The first part was pretty easy despite I advanced slowly due to better
tools lack; real problems started when I needed to separate the
radiator from its lower basis, I couldn't find the way to access to
this area; after to think very much I concluded that it was necessary
to disassemble the "face" of the car including the entire frontal
bumper, but I couldn't believe it (I thought it would be a design
fault) and then I telephoned the new radiator seller, he said "You are
right, you need to disassemble the bumper completely and to get it
out, after to do it, call me again". The bumper had about one million
of screws and nuts but I got it out finally and the air conditioning
radiator and the common basis appeared and I telephoned the seller
again. Both radiators separation was not easy and to assemble the new
radiator with the air conditioning radiator again was not easy, there
was risk about to break some tubes; the guy gave me an excellent
explanation to do it and I could do it fine.
I finished my work at about 2.30AM, it took me about 8 hours to
replace the radiator but I could travel that day and never had another
mechanical problem with this Fiat, in spite of its fame, and along the
four years I had it. I also got more respect for the mechanic work.