[rollei_list] Re: Rollei Flash

  • From: Don Williams <dwilli10@xxxxxxx>
  • To: rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 10 Jan 2008 22:37:49 -0600

Richard Knoppow wrote:
The difference isn't the caps so much as the circuits used. Modern stobe units have some sort of impedance in the discharge path through the lens which lengthens the duration of the discharge. The old Kodatron lamps, which were I beleive the first commercial strobe units, sounded like pistol shots when they went off from the sudden mechanical change in the capacitors. These had very short duration times, on the order of 1/50,000th second in order to get motion stopping effect. Both duration time and strobotron life is increased by lengthing out the duration time. This also gets rid of the noise. I measured my Vivitar flash for duration and found that at maximum power it was on the order of 1/400th second, at minimum power something like 1/20,000 second. Evidently the unit varies the length of the flash to change its effective exposure. I am not convinced about there being a radical difference in the appearance of strobe vs: flashbulb pictures particularly if the flash reflectors are approximately matched for size and location relative to the camera. I have a means for testing this but won't be able to get to it for a time.

I believe the difference in flash duration with output power setting has used two different methods-

The early variable power units just integrated the light (photocell sensor for those that measured the reflected light) until the desired value was reached and then just dumped the capacitor with an electronic switch.

Very quickly new designs were produced which somehow opened the circuit when the desired total output was reached.

In both versions the flash duration decreased as the power setting decreased.

My old 283 is of the newer design and the capacitor remains partially charged after a "small" flash. I can run it at 2-3 flashes per second (as a test) when flashing light colored objects close up. Fun but not a practical thing except for close subjects and motor drive cameras.

Thyristor was the operative word, I think, for both versions.

DAW