[rollei_list] Re: Rollei Flash

  • From: ERoustom <eroustom@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 9 Jan 2008 21:32:37 -0500

Miscellaneous package of bulbs. Some say P25 on the top, the others just say GE. Some are blue, some are clear.

No guide numbers anywhere. Are bulbs still made?

E.

On Jan 9, 2008, at 8:49 PM, Don Williams wrote:

At 08:31 PM 1/9/2008 -0500, you wrote:
Hello all,

I finally got a battery for my vintage Rolleiflash, and I even had time to test it out. Those bulbs are powerful. I didn't have a chart to go by, so I just guessed exposure - Ilford DeltaPro100, 100/f8 with a blue bulb from about 1.5m away. I scanned the neg, and I really overdid the highlights (though in the neg I can see enough detail - maybe a good print is possible). Is there a chart somewhere for aperture and speed to distance? I also imagine not all bulbs are the same strength.

Compared to what I've done with electric flash before, the bulb seems softer and more even. Is this my imagination?

Elias

What kind of bulb? Did it not come in a package with guide numbers on the back?

I've used thousands of bulbs over the years, at least up until 15 or so years ago, and I agree that most flash bulbs put out more light than every-day flash units.

Underwater I always used flashbulbs and always got better lighting than the folks who were using those new-fangled strobe lights. I still have some bulbs around here, still packed from my recent move. When I find my Rolleimarin I'll find the bulbs.

I may have also mentioned that I used so many bulbs with the topside standard Rolleiflash that I had to buy a new plastic ring for the flash, the one that sits just at the base of the bulb. Mine had a burned and melted edge.

DAW