[rollei_list] Re: Rollei Flash

  • From: Peter J Nebergall <iusar4s@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 10 Jan 2008 13:05:34 -0800

My partner in our old sports-photo agency used Canon F1s, and they
x-synchat 1/80.  I was using Nikon FAs, that x-synch at 1/250.  Indoor
shows requiring flash for him produced substantial ghost images, with a
"hard" image at curtain closing.  Bulb would be clean across the synch
time, but w/o the "freeze," producing good pans, or well-lit blurs if you
didn't pan...

P.J. Nebergall

On Thu, 10 Jan 2008 11:41:08 -0800 slobodan dimitrov
<s.dimitrov@xxxxxxxxxxx> writes:
Using a slower shutter speed with a strobe can sometimes give tonal
results similar to a bulb burst.
Richard could probably best answer this technically.
s.d.

On Jan 10, 2008, at 10:50 AM, Don Williams wrote:

At 11:13 AM 1/10/2008 -0500, you wrote:

I believe the softer look of flashbulbs has more to do with the shape of
the reflector.  If you use it without a reflector, bulb and electronic
flash look pretty much the same.

Allen Zak

There is one other issue that used to be discussed a lot but which
probably pays a part in the effects you get with strobe lights and flash
bulbs.

Strobes tend to produce light with spectral peaks while flash bulbs
produce light that is more even across the spectrum.  Combine this with
the sensitivity peaks in color film (probably not B&W film though) and
there will be differences in the end result.

Sorry I don't remember any of the specifics any more but I would guess
that some members of this forum will have that info in their memory
banks,

DAW