[rollei_list] Re: OT Ancient Computers (was Re: Re: Rollei -Singapore) now analogue versus digital

  • From: Robert Lilley <54moggie@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 12 Jan 2009 15:58:47 -0500

Ah, I am still trying to calibrate my monitor and printer - even with such gadgets as 'Colormunki' its still off. Is there any really good fool proof approach to this? Epson V750 -> iMac (20inch) 2 ghz -> Epson R2400 Pro Most of the time I shoot 6x6 or larger.

Rob
On Jan 12, 2009, at 3:32 PM, Frank Dernie wrote:

Quite so in most cases!
My most recent wet colour print from my darkroom was in 2005. It was then that I realised that at my level digital was, in every way important to me, superior. I have shot and processed digitally ever since, and my results are better than I achieved in the darkroom in 44 years. I have an occasional burst with film, either because I particularly like using the camera (Rolleiflex and my 6008i) or for panoramics with my Fuji 617 or Xpan. Mind you, this year I have done all my panoramics by stitching digital pictures together in Photoshop......
Frank

On 12 Jan, 2009, at 20:05, Robert Lilley wrote:

Who would know? Every color picture* I see today, both on and off the computer is a digital representation. I have not seen a color print from a wet process in years!

Rob

On Jan 12, 2009, at 2:55 PM, Carlos Manuel Freaza wrote:

Frank, I really can't imagine the way you use your film cameras to obtain those conclusions.

Films have personality; DSLRs don't. While many DSLRs let you dial in higher or lower saturation and contrast, those crude adjustments can't compare to the richness of film, whether Velvia's crisp, saturated look or the delicate tonal shoulder of Tri-X. (Black-and-white is a particular challenge for digital, especially in-camera.) Film can be manipulated to soak up even more of a scene's tonal extremes. You can rein in highlights by "pulling," or shortening, the development of b&w film. You compensate for this by adding exposure when shooting, improving shadow detail. You can overexpose color negative film by as much as four stops to increase shadow detail and reduce contrast, without damaging highlight nuances.

Some super-duper digital backs claim to match or exceed the range captured by film. If you can afford them, go for it -- and bring along your laptop.

You can sharpen a digital image in software. And with most DSLRs you must, because images are considerably softened by anti- aliasing filters that keep their sensors from recording jagged edges and moiré patterns. Yet if you overdo your sharpening, the image can take on a distractingly "crispy" appearance. The sharpness you get from film is more natural looking.

(Some parts above were taken from a Pop Photo article by Russell Hart)

Digital is very practical to use for a lot of situations and well balanced images look very nice in the monitor screens, but most of them don't show the detail richness and tones subtleties you can obtain from a neg or slide for prints, magazines, projection, books etc. and I'm talking about a 35mm format.

Carlos

--- El lun 12-ene-09, Frank Dernie <Frank.Dernie@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> escribió:

If you shoot large format that can be true. For medium
format or what used to be called "miniature
format" when I started photography this is not true.
The only film parameter which has the potential be better
than digital is -perhaps- resolution, but only very slow
black and white films in ideal exposure conditions.
In all other respects digital is superior - in my
experience.
My Rolleiflex 6008i is not capable of producing colour
pictures to match those from several of my digital cameras.
35mm has been behind for years.
I am not aware of -anybody- with in depth experience of
both who would agree with you.
Perhaps I am going to get the first convincing information
as a result of this email!
best regards,
Frank

I am comparing Velvia, Provia, Kodachrome in Canon, Leica,
Rollei and Mamiya film cameras (up to 6x7cm) with digital
from Leica M8, Canon EOS 1Ds mk2 and Nikon D3. Most recently
I have been trying a Nikon D3x but have not formed any
conclusions yet since I have not shot with it enough.

On 12 Jan, 2009, at 16:13, Carlos Manuel Freaza wrote:

--- El lun 12-ene-09, Frank Dernie
<Frank.Dernie@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> escribió:

In all practical ways digital has exceeded the
capability
of film for some time. Certainly if there is an
effect which
one wishes to achieve, using a vintage LF lens for
example,
film may have to be the choice but that does not
make film
better, just an appropriate choice in some
circumstances.

Film is the best choice when you need the highest
image quality.-

Carlos

  Yahoo! Cocina
Recetas prácticas y comida saludable
http://ar.mujer.yahoo.com/cocina/

- Subscribe at rollei_list-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx with
'subscribe'
in the subject field OR by logging into
www.freelists.org

with
'unsubscribe' in the subject field OR by
logging into www.freelists.org

- Subscribe at rollei_list-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx with
'subscribe'

'unsubscribe' in the subject field OR by logging
into www.freelists.org